Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Letter to Yourself

On the first day of school this year, I had my seventh grade choir students write a letter to themselves in the future. I had them list three goals they hoped to achieve, their friends, their interests, etc. I took these letters and put them in my desk, not to be touched until today. Today was the last day of 7th grade choir class. It was a great year with them. I thanked them for their hard work this year. I thanked them for buying into this whole "choir" idea. I thanked them for making my first real choir a great one (I don't really count last year).
So I gave them their letters back today. It was great to watch their reactions as they read their words from nine months ago. Some were surprised. Some were unmoved. I just wonder if they realize how much they have changed. I see it. Do they see it? They have grown so much, literally and musically.
Tomorrow is the last day of school. In honor of the "letter to yourself", I went back and read my blog post from the last day of school last year. I sincerely hope I continue to change in a positive way.

2 comments:

easyedwin said...

To God be the glory! I am soo proud of you, Dan. It is true that the only constant is change. God built us this way to assure progress as we travel the paths of life.

Dranmom said...

Wow--I can't believe you have 2 years "under your belt"! I am SO proud of you and the work you have done. Just like you with John, they will never forget you. YOU HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE! Cool, huh? And believe me . . .you have certainly changed a lot since you were in 7th grade! Haven't we all . . .