Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What a Difference

I'm probably going to get a big "Duh" from a lot of people on this one. Today, I ran with music. I usually have Jenny with me and feel that I need to be able to hear things coming and really be alert so that Jenny doesn't do anything stupid. I also don't run with my ipod because those stupid ipod headphones fall out of my hears at the slightest movement. However tonight, I ran without Jenny and decided to give the ole ipod another shot on my run. This time I used my Shure noise isolating in-ear earphones. These are top of the line earphones I bought on impulse a few years ago. I hardly ever use them and figured I'd give it a shot. These go all up in your ear canal and really block out everything else. I was a new man. It made me feel like I was in a movie. (I've realized that I'll do just about anything if it'll make me feel like I'm in a movie. Give it music or the right kind of lighting or sentiment and I'm GAME! "I punched an old lady today! Yeah, well the song I was listening to really just made me feel like I was in a movie") I digress. For one, the music blocked out the sound of my suffering, I mean, breathing. Two, it let me focus on other things as my mind wandered. It was a much more therapeutic run. Lastly, there were times when the next song on my mix would come at just the right time and give me the added boost I needed. Wow, I may never run without my ipod again. At least until it breaks from being shaken to death.

3 comments:

drewster said...

it's always a good thing when you can block out the sound of your feet hitting the pavement and breathing......makes for a much smoother run. Ipods are life-changers

The Dyer Family said...

oh snap, i'm always making the songs i'm hearing into the soundtrack of my life. i know exactly what you mean. i should make you a cd.

easyedwin said...

Blocking sound is not recommended during running. It renders the runner unable to hear the many sounds of danger ie; automobiles, bicycles, motorcycles, thunder and rabid dogs looking for an easy blood source. (not to mention the timing of each footfall to the beat of the music) These are ALL detrimental to the serious runner in training.