Monday, January 26, 2009

Developed

Today, I took a half day off work so that I could drive to LaGrange, GA. My destination was Long Cane Middle School to see the choir director there. In music education, one often finds that he is the only professional in his field at a particular school. The closest middle school might be Opelika, but I've observed the teacher there and feel no need to go back. I met with Mrs. Biggs to discuss my program and music selection. I expected to leave with a few titles I could check out to get me on the right track. I left with four written pages of titles and composers of tried and true middle school repertoire. I dare say that this simple trip was one of the most professionally developing pieces of "professional development" I've ever experienced. Sure, I could flip through a J.W. Pepper catalog (music supplier and distributer) until my thumbs turn blue. But by meeting with Mrs. Biggs, someone who is good at what she does and has been doing it for a while, I was able to see tons of music that someone has done and that works. "This one is great," she would say. "You MUST get this one."

So now I have new direction, or perhaps a more precise heading in my current direction. I was affirmed in some of my teaching practices, which is always a plus. Now, I have the task of choosing from this huge list the pieces I want to do this semester. Wish us luck, and come hear us sing sometime!

1 comment:

The Dyer Family said...

one of my oldest friends is a choir director at a high school in florida - she is excellent. she might be a good resource. i'll get her to add you on fb. her name is deborah davis, so don't be befuddled if you get a friend request from someone by that name.