Sunday, May 10, 2009

To Boldly Go...

*Warning: This blog post contains nerd content. Drew, if you can't handle the nerd, get off the starship.

I saw Star Trek last night. It was really good. I don't want to sit here and tell you it was the most incredible movie I've ever seen and you be disappointed when you see it, but it was really good. When I was growing up, my mom (Happy Mother's Day Mom. I love you!) watched Star Trek: The Next Generation. I was too young to really get into it, but I liked what little bits and pieces I saw. I knew characters (Captain Picard, Riker, Worf, Data, and Lavar Burton from Reading Rainbow with the crazy headband on his eyes.) I'm also a bit of a sci-fi geek, so this movie was right up my alley. It was directed by J.J. Abrams, the director of my favorite TV show LOST. In case there's anyone reading this that has seen Star Trek and watches LOST, I have a question for you. Is J.J. Abrams the unequivocal king of time travel in our day or what? He pulls it off every time without getting TOO weird. I mean yeah, it's weird. But he does it in a way that seems to say, "This is how it COULD work, if we were able to do it." It's more believable than getting into a mad scientist's machine, dialing in a year, and pressing a glowing red button. In LOST it's a result of a source of highly volatile energy. In Star Trek it's a result of singularity, or black holes. Now, we don't know much about black holes, but we know that they bend space and time. I think that if we are ever going to travel time, it is more likely to be a la Star Trek than LOST. Regardless, the only way we will ever get there is to... "Boldly go where no one has gone before."


4 comments:

easyedwin said...

What?

The Dyer Family said...

you need to go on ted.com and watch jj abrahms lecture about mystery boxes. pretty good!

Holly said...

It was like reconnecting with old friends -- I had thought it would be fun to watch this with you and Aunt Carol . . . .

Dranmom said...

I'm so glad you didn't give any of the movie away--I can't wait to see it! But who would I see it with? Holly, if you're out there--come see it with me! Well, I may just wait until you get home, Dan, and make you go see it with me. I'm SO ready to "boldly go"--let's "make it so!". Engage! (I've missed Jean Luc so much--I wonder if he's missed me?)