Monday, April 27, 2009

Gone but not forgotten

You move on from things, and it becomes easier and easier to forget about them. When you start to forget about them, you start to forget how valuable your time there was. Tonight I went to the AU Singers Spring Show. Spring Show is the big one. It's the culmination of year's work and it usually lasts around two hours. I've been out of Singers for two years and many of those memories are already starting to fade. How could I forget them? How could I forget how many hours I spent in rehearsal? How could I forget the thousands of hilarious things we did and said in Singers? How could I forget the incredible musical moments? Tonight made them all come flooding back. It's a tradition in AU Singers that Alums are invited back onstage to sing one of the final pieces "What Would I Do Without My Music." It's a ballad that encompasses all that Singers stands for. It talks about the simple value of music in a person's life. I went back onstage and sang the piece as the former director and founder of the group, Dr. Tom Smith, conducted. Emotional? Yes. But not emotions of sadness or longing. Rather, these were emotions of pure joy. Being on the teaching end of music these days, I rarely get to sing anymore. Singing in a choir is one of the things I miss most. Sitting amongst friends, bright lights in my face, Dr. Smith conducting; it was joy. It made me really stinkin' happy. It's true, I had many mixed emotions about singers during my four years. But tonight reminded me and re-proved to me that AU Singers was such a huge part of my life for four years. I made so many great memories with so many great people. It's a time of my life I never want to forget. Thanks Singers.

3 comments:

easyedwin said...

One of your best posts, Dan. I can almost feel it!!!!

Dranmom said...

Times like the one you just described makes us want to remember to appreciate and live to the fullest the experiences and opportunities in which we find ourselves. I know the feeling. I feel that wherever you are, whenever you are, you must always tell yourself "These are the good times of my life." Sometimes it's hard to do.

Evan said...

While the thought of pint night made you jealous... this post made me jealous. Hate I couldn't be there. I would've been right beside you singing amidst those bright lights! Whatever happened to the weekend performances? Working folks outside of town aren't able to make weekday trips.