Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

In this case, the something old and the something blue are the same thing. For years, I've been "the guy with the blue guitar." Last week, that changed. I purchased the guitar of my dreams. I'll keep "old blue", but it's now on the back burner. She was good to me. But I've upgraded. Let me take you back.

Seventh grade. I had just started playing guitar. I was in my first band. I ate, slept, and breathed guitar. In a conversation with one of my bandmates, I learned of Taylor guitars. No biggie right? Until I heard one. I wasn't aware a guitar could sound so good! I knew I had to have one. Twelve years later, after saving up for months and months, I bought a Taylor 816ce. It's perfect. It looks beautiful and sounds even more beautiful. I'm happy with it.

Something borrowed? It happens to be a guitar too. My latest musical challenge is the bass guitar. I'm going to start playing bass in the children's worship band at my church, Cornerstone. This is a worship band for children, not a worship band made OF children. We had practice tonight and it was so much fun. I love only being responsible for one note! I don't have to sing, I just play one note at a time. Now, I'm also in another band with a buddy of mine from college and some friends of his. We're called Donnie and the Dodgeballs. I was asked to be the lead singer. We also lack a bass player. I might just pull a Sting in the police or a Sheryl Crow and play bass and sing at the same time. I'm not sure how that will work, as bass isn't nearly as second nature to me as guitar. We shall see at the next rehearsal. I'm borrowing a friend's bass to practice. Peace.


4 comments:

easyedwin said...

Mike Hanlin has played bass for years and years. His band (brownwood) warmed up for Mountain at U of A in 1972.

Good luck with the 4 stringer, be glad it is not a ukelalei

holly said...

Mike played bass in his band, Kickball -- you could search it on Youtube (maybe something like Kickball and Crocodiles and/or Lizard and Snake) -- he's playing bass and has hair:) -- it was 1995 (a few months before i met him)

Enjoy!

The Dyer Family said...

you were in 7th grade 12 years ago? dude.

dranMom said...

Knowing you, you'll be playing it like a pro in about 2 weeks--maybe 3. Other than Bobby Horton, you are ridiculously gifted at picking up a new instrument and within a few weeks playing it like you've been doing it all your life. Have fun with it! Maybe Uncle Mike will let you borrow one of his basses.