Sunday, May 25, 2008

Taking Requests

A friend and I have decided we want to try to work up a setlist and play in some bars around town. This is something I've always wanted to do, but haven't had the time/commitment/courage. It's better now that I've got a partner in crime (and it helps that he's a musical genius). We met tonight to begin the process of learning the songs we don't currently know and get them in shape to play in public. I learned, much to my dismay, that I've forgotten many of the songs I used to be able to play. When I lived with my parents, my guitar hung on my wall next to my bed. I didn't even have to move to access it. For the majority of the last four years, however, I haven't had the same luxury. I blame my six-stringed stagnancy on this fact.

Here's where you come in. Close your eyes, well not really because then you wouldn't be able to read what i'm writing. Just imagine, then, that you are in your favorite evening establishment for a few drinks and some good times with your friends. You get the urge to request a song from the musician(s) on stage. What do you request? (Say Free Bird, I dare you. See what happens, jerk.) Post a comment telling me the song or songs you would like to hear. This will give us a better idea of what melodious mixtures would best entice our audience. The more, the merrier.

Thanks.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are following through with this. More elated to see that Chandler will be your sidekick! Hope to see you both in action sometime this summer! Shall I dare suggest a myspace music page for all of us to see when your gigs are and hear your "melodies"?

As for suggestions... I'll get back to you once I've pondered a bit!

The Dyer Family said...

peg - steely dan
atlantis - donovan
one - aimee mann version (not 3 dog night)
something to talk about - badly drawn boy
hazy shade of winter - the bangles
god only knows/wouldn't it be nice/sloop john b - beach boys
beatles - anything sgt.pepper, abbey road, revolver, rubber soul
anything ben folds
ok - you can see I'm alphabetically going through my i-tunes. I'll make you a cd....
the first two choices were according to your directions - I close my eyes and imagined what i would want to hear at a bar. beyond that, i'm using reminders.

Anonymous said...

3am by matchbox 20

Shealy said...

just heard "drops of jupiter" on the radio...learn that :)

Anonymous said...

Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell (wish people had heeded the message back then!!)
Norwegian Wood - the Beatles
Low Spark of High-heeled Boys - Traffic (?)
I know---they are oldies and I'm a Dork. So be it.

Anonymous said...

What would you say
Don't drink the water
Crash
Satellite.........DMB

Lucy in the sky with diamonds..Btls

Suite judy blue eyes....CSN

Graces amazing hands...D Barnes

All along the watchtower
Positively 4th street
Tangled up in blue......B Dylan

Layla......E Clapton

The itch.....Keb Moe

Born w/a broken heart..K Wayne Shep

Walkin on sunshine..Katrina & waves

The Dyer Family said...

oh my gawd - who is dranmom???? she has FABULOUS taste in music! I didn't even think of low spark. and joni mitchell!! yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!

Dan said...

Dranmom is my mom!

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks, Dyers! Your comment made me believe for just a second that maybe I'm not such a Dork. However, Dan's Dad just assured me that "yes, you are a Dork". Again, so be it. I'm a happy Dork!

The Dyer Family said...

love, love, love your mom! if we're dorks, then dorks are ultra cool. you should be thanking your lucky stars every single day that you're mom is so awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Elton John - Levon
Elton John - Yellow Brick Road
Donavon Frankenreiter - Free
Beatles - Hey Jude
Wreckless Eric - Whole Wide World
Van Morrison - Sweet Thing

The Dyer Family said...

don't stop me now - queen

JBFerguson said...

Soulshine- Government Mule

Steal My Kisses- Ben Harper

Free Fallin- Tom Petty