Sunday, January 4, 2009

Community

In early civilizations, families gathered in villages. They did this for obvious reasons. A family living on its own in the middle of the wilderness was far less likely to survive than a family that lived with several other families. They relied on each other for protection, health, food, and eventually entertainment. If one family had a particularly healthy farm, they might provide produce to feed others in the village. Similarly, other families would provide in whatever way they could to the well being of the village. Herein lies the value of community.
My parents have lived in the same house for twenty years now. It sits on a cul-de-sac surrounded by about nine other houses. Through twenty years, we've watched families move out and others move in. For the most part, the families in the various houses kept to themselves. Occasionally, the couple accross the street would come over for an Auburn game, but that was just about the extent of cross culdesac community.
As we know, the only constant is change. Just as change has come to the White House, change has come to Oak Ridge Circle. My parents are suddenly surrounded by really awesome neighbors! There now exists a sense of community that hasn't existed in the twenty years since they've lived here. It didn't just happen though. In a move straight out of a Christmas movie, my parents threw a Christmas open house and invited everyone on the street! I was still in Auburn, but I heard it went really well. They got everyone's phone numbers and email addresses and the rest is history. Throughout the next couple weeks of the holidays, it seemed that you couldn't go five days without someone throwing a party!
The other night, I followed my dad two doors down to the "Man Cave". Yeah, I know! A couple named Phillip and Stacy live there. They've lived there for a year and a half and Phillip has converted the garage into the perfect man room. The walls are covered in sports, hunting, and rock n' roll gear. There's a 52 inch HDTV, a Wii, and a fridge full of various beers including some of Phillip's own home brew. It's awesome! So we watched the Rose Bowl, drank exotic beer, and then played Wii till we just about peed in our pants.
Then there's Joe and Crystal across the street. They moved in only three weeks ago, but from what I can tell they are loving it so far. They had everyone over to watch the Alabama game. Joe plays in a band and he and I got together earlier today and played guitar for a while.
Then there's Becky and Jonathan, who threw the New Year's party. I wasn't there, because I went to Nashville. Seriously though, who parties this much? It really is cool. I'm happy for my parents that they have such down to earth, fun-loving, party-going neighbors. It is just like that village I mentioned earlier. My parents threw the Christmas party, Jonathan and Becky took care of the New Year's party, Joe and Crystal threw the Sugar bowl party, and Phillip and Stacy... man cave remember? Some say it takes a village to raise a child. Oak Ridge Circle is proving that it takes a village to sufficiently party throughout the holidays.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your perception and description of our hip, new cul-de-sac made me proud! It's true that we have some very good, fun, and caring neighbors. I had a ball with them all during the holidays, and hope the comaraderie continues. Another thing that I think is really cool is the way everybody--including the newcomers--take care of Fred. (Our next door neighbor who lives alone and has a multitude of serious health problems as a result of exposure to Agent Orange in the Vietnam war). It warms my heart to have neighbors whocare about their neighbors! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

P. S. We ripped Kaboomtown New Year's Eve in the circle.

Anonymous said...

Sounds a lot cooler than Brian Ardovino painting your scooter white.

Anonymous said...

From Joe "the cool culdesac cat" . I'm honored to be blogged. It was great to move to a home surrounded by such incredible people. It has truly been one of our very best holiday seasons ever because of the connections and fun we had with everyone. Dan, you are an amazing musician and great guy. Hope to hang out in the future. HEEEEEEYYYY, I've got a good idea........Culdesac party anyone? Peace

Anonymous said...

From Joe "the cool culdesac cat" . I'm honored to be blogged. It was great to move to a home surrounded by such incredible people. It has truly been one of our very best holiday seasons ever because of the connections and fun we had with everyone. Dan, you are an amazing musician and great guy. Hope to hang out in the future. HEEEEEEYYYY, I've got a good idea........Culdesac party anyone? Peace