Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Gripe til you get your way

When I was little, I used to get so embarrassed when my mom would argue with cashiers, tellers, etc. I don't want you to get the idea that she is an argumentative individual, she simply fought for what she wanted. Nevertheless, my brother and I would hide in shame. Yesterday, those skills came in handy.
If you live in the Auburn area, you probably know that Charter cable provides shotty internet access at best. One minute, you're watching streaming video, the next you can't even access the internet. It's been a source of immense frustration for years. Yesterday, I spent thirty minutes on the phone with Charter internet service support trying to restore my internet connection, to no avail. After several unsuccessful remedies, I voiced my concerns. Borrowing a line from my father after a dissapointing sailing trip over Christmas break, I told the agent that "For the amount that I pay Charter each month, this is absurd. I expect a discount on my next bill." I never say things like that. But I got worked up enough to make my demands known. Well, I didn't get a discount, but I did get something!
Tomorrow, a Charter technician will be here to install a digital cable box and a modem that will allow for 10 meg internet (as opposed to my current 5 meg connection) at no cost to me. My monthly payment will not increase either. Man, I hate Charter. Whether my dad gets a discount on his next boat charter remains to be seen, but at least the technique helped me out! And I got that fightin' spirit from dear ole mom. Let this be a lesson to us all: bitch until you get your way.

8 comments:

Emily Lilley said...

Charter is the worst. When I was still in Auburn, our internet was so intermittent that I finally called them and told them that we would be canceling our service because it was absurd, and they gave us the month for free. Try that next time!

Emily Lilley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Way to go, Dan! Anybody who gets anything extra from Charter is heroic in my opinion! It's also nice to know you learned some useful skills from your parental units. :)!

Anonymous said...

We get one FREE day on our next sailboat charter(a $200-400) value according to the size boat we charter!!!

Anonymous said...

We get one FREE day on our next sailboat charter(a $200-400) value according to the size boat we charter!!!

JBFerguson said...

That is a wonderful lesson. It has never worked with me with Charter, you must have the discount charm!!

Lindsay said...

My family's nicknames for Comcast:
Complicatedcast
Comcastards

They are just as bad as Charter.

The King's said...

hey Dan!! Will you send me an e-mail when you get a chance?? I have a question for you! Thanks!!
reedandemilyking@gmail.com