Thursday, January 29, 2009

Punched

In music, a virtuoso is an idividual who is highly skilled at one or more musical instruments. I'm talking head of the field skills. If the value of a musical outfit were determined by the collective talent of its members, then Punch Brothers is as talented as any out there! I just returned from their performance at the Opelika Center for the Performing Arts. I scored some free tickets, and Chandler and I eagerly attended the show.

Punch Brothers is fronted by Chris Thile, formerly of Nickel Creek. Chris single-handedly changed the way the world thinks about the mandolin. I think the word virtuoso accurately describes his skill. However, it wasn't just a rag-tag band of string players fronted by the big name. On the contrary, every member of the group was equally skilled in their instrument, be it double bass, violin, guitar, or banjo. An entire group of virtuoso musicians. Needless to say, it was incredible. They played the entire "Blind Leaving the Blind", a forty minute, four movement string quintet composed by Thile. These five guys played their instruments with as much grace and attention to detail as any orchestral player would. But, let me get back to Chris for a moment. Think about a singer and how a singer controls his or her instrument. The brain simply wills the voice to "play". There's no middle man. Any other instrument requires the brain to communicate with an inatimate object in order to produce the desired sound. Watching Chris play, the middle man fades away. It's almost as if his brain is communicating directly with his instrument. I imagine there have only been several such musicians in history. Perhaps Miles Davis had this trait. Maybe Stevie Ray Vaughn and his electric guitar. It's quite a site to witness, and I'm humbled every time I get the chance.

I had such a chance my freshman year of college. Back then, Chris Thile was still in Nickel Creek, and Sky Bar was still the Blue Room. Nickel Creek was playing at the Blue Room and I went to hear them. I got there extra early, and thus got a spot very near the front (it was standing only). The show was outstanding, of course, but the fun didn't end there. I went home and began getting ready for bed, when a friend of mine called and said, "Dude, come back up to the Blue Room. Nickel Creek is playing unplugged outside their tourbus!" I threw my clothes back on, grabbed my mandolin, and headed back downtown. I got there in time to hear them play a few old bluegrass tunes completely unplugged in the parking lot to the Blue Room. It was great. Afterward, I ventured up to Chris and asked him to sign my mandolin. I handed my bottom of the line mandolin that I hadn't played in several weeks to him. He flipped it around and began to play! (At this point, I froze. I knew I hadn't played this instrument in quite a while and I was sure it would be horribly out of tune). He played a lightning fast bluegrass lick, paused, and said, "hmm... still in tune." Wow. He flipped it back over, signed it and handed it back to me. I smiled and said thanks. Thus, my brush with greatness was over. Five years later, he's in a new band, but still just as amazing to watch and listen to. Thanks Punch Brothers for a great show!


1 comment:

Emily Lilley said...

Have been looking forward to seeing them in March for months! So glad you enjoyed it. I also somewhat stalked his publicist hoping for an interview for the magazine I work for, but my interview got bumped. Very sad.