Monday, January 19, 2009

I love my...

Welcome to another edition of I love my Mondays, the post that tallies five things I love that are going on in my life. Why Monday? Monday is typically a day filled with thoughts about how much we hate things ("Mondays boy I hate Mondays. They make me so steamed. Weekend, I prefer the weekend.") So, in order to combat those ill feelings, I decided to list things I love about my life... on a Monday. Thumbs up, let's do this.

1. I love... Martin Luther King Jr. Today we celebrate the life and works of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. How crazy is it that someone was born with the names Martin Luther and is able to bring about such sweeping change in their surroundings, much like the first Martin Luther. Not only do I appreciate him for his valiant fight against racism in the United States, but for the day off of work!

2. I love... my brother. See previous post.

3. I love... Lord of the Rings. I know, I know, I'm SUCH a huge nerd. If you follow this blog with any regularity, then you know I'm a gamer, and a nerd. I recently purchased the new Lord of the Rings Xbox game that came out this week. It puts the player into the major battles of the epic saga. Nerds, unite and slay the evil forces of Sauron.

4. I love... cold weather. And boy have we had our share of that this week! It's been in the high teens at night here for the past few days. All we would have needed was a drizzle and we would have had snow. Snow is a frozen white precipitate that falls from the sky sometimes in winter. I have to remind myself from time to time. But no, the rain waited until after the arctic blast. Sigh.

5. I love... change. Tomorrow, our nation will swear in a new leader. Let's set aside the "change" from the campaign trail for just a moment. I simply want to talk about the word change. The only thing that stays the same, is the fact that things will change. As humans, creatures of habit, we are resistant to change. However, change is most often a good thing. Even if our current president had not done so poorly in his time in office, we simply need a change. There is a feeling of stagNATION. The pond needs to be stirred; new life breathed in to our sullen country. Regardless of your political leanings, let us rally behind our new leader. He is passionate about America. He is passionate about bringing about change. Even today, he and his wife are participating in a "Day of Service" and encouraging all Americans to find a way to serve their communities not just today, but everyday. Get excited. Whether it's true or not, I like to think that America's best days are ahead of her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your "I love monday" posts. They always force me to think about good things in my life--of which there are MANY! I love this Monday especially, because I am a truly big fan of MLK. He said and did some awesome stuff that is still so relevant today. And tomorrow. Which brings me to the paradox of this particular Monday. As you know, I have been "under the weather" for a few days. Haven't gotten any better . . . so I went to my Dr. today. After much discussion and several tests, she declared that I have walking pneumonia. Not particularly serious, just contagious, hard to treat because it is viral (takes a while to get better), and generally makes you just feel like . . . uh . .crap. She gave me 2 shots, some cough medicine, and said to call her tomorrow for results of bloodwork. That's the bad news. The good news is--she forbade me to go to work tomorrow! I CAN WATCH THE INAUGURATION TIL I DROP!! I am very excited about that, and was secretly pissed and resentful that I had to work on a day when National and World history is happening in real time and on TV. SO- bad luck, good luck --who knows! I am thankful for you this Monday!!