Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

As you know, I hate shopping. Christmas shopping is no exception, although I try to convince myself to be cheerful about it because I'm shopping for others and spreading Christmas cheer. Christmas shopping in Birmingham is always an extremely stressful experience. I don't plan my trip out well and end up criscrossing the city to get all of the things I need. Traffic is usually terrible, which only adds to my stress. By the time I'm finished with what should be a satisfying deed, I'm only worn out and angry.
Today was the exact opposite of that. It could not have gone better. I'll change the names of retail stores so that my family doesn't know what I'm getting them (even though they emailed me a list of things I should get them). After watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, I really wanted a sausage dog for lunch. Not readily knowing where to obtain said culinary treat, I decided I would eat a chili dog at Toomer's Drugs. Toomer's Drugs, however, was going to be out of my way, but I really wanted a hot dog. My first stop was Jimmy's Sports Megaplex. I purchased the gift and headed outside. There, I discovered that they were giving away hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken quesadillas, and yes, gourmet sausage dogs. I got a sausage dog and a chicken quesadilla for free! Not only was it a free meal, but it was a meal that fit seamlessly into my shopping flow. I then headed to another store where I found what I needed within three steps of the front door. As I walked outside of that store, I saw a former student and her mother doing free gift wrapping on behalf of their church. So, I got it wrapped. Seamless. I then went to another store and got another thing. As I was checking out, I corresponded via text with someone who told me where to go to get another gift. I searched for the store in my phone, touched the address when it came up, and got turn by turn directions to the store. I got what I needed and was done. Seamless. I'm a little fuzzy, but I think all of the traffic lights turned green as a approached them. I'm doing my Christmas shopping in Auburn every year, no matter where I live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ho Ho Ho..........you'll shoot your eye out kid !! I want a Red Ryder BB rifle, santa dan.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am happy for you in regard to your shopping experience. I, on the other hand, am not having fun nor am I being as successful as you. Maybe I'll just come to Auburn to shop! Boo Gallaria! (actually, I have not even gone near it, but still . . .)