Monday, June 23, 2008

See what had happened was...


I broke my ankle. Ok, technically I fractured my fibula, but let's call it what it is: a broken ankle. Here's how it happened:

Long ago, there existed a rope swing at a river in Loachapoka, AL. This rope swing was home to so many fond memories from my freshman and sophomore years of college. It was perfect. We would swing way out over the river and drop thirty feet into the water. Day or night, rain or shine, we couldn't be stopped. Until they chopped the tree down. The river just wasn't the same without it. So, we stopped going. Yesterday, my friend Lee and I decided to take Jenny and go out to the river to swim and just spend some time outside. As we approach the river, we hear loud splashes and people laughing. Could it be? Indeed, someone has hung a rope on another tree. The resurrection of the rope swing! We had to try it.

This rope swing left much to be desired, however. It wasn't as big, and there were a bunch of branches brooding squarely at the apex of the flight path. It was sketchy. But we had to do it, there was no questioning. Lee went first and got all up in the branches. After a few more people went successfully swinging into the water, I decided to go. I prefer height over distance in this type of situation. I love the feeling of free-falling. So, as I swung out over the bank and towards the branches, I decided that rather than let go then and get a face full of branch, I would wait just a little bit. This decision was my demise. I started to swing back toward the bank and let go immediately. I landed in less than a foot of water on my right foot, thus fracturing my fibula.

I'm determined to have a good attitude about this. So, here are a few of the bright sides. I have a sweet blue cast. I get to sit on my butt and play Xbox and watch movies and I don't feel bad about it. It's a new challenge to overcome. It shows me hilarious and awkward ways to do mundane things (shower, drive, take Jenny out to use the bathroom, etc.) If being able to use both your hands is called being ambidextrous, what is it called when you are learning to use both your feet? Amipedrous? I'm learning to be ambipedrous.

So, I'll be in this cast for six weeks. Right as summer is ending, I'll be fiberglass free. Just call me lieutenant Dan. Feel free to send gift baskets and meals.


9 comments:

The Muncies said...

Oh no!!! Please let me know if you need anything -- meal included! :) I broke a bone in my foot and was in a cast from Jan-July my junior year of college. No fond memories there!

Sarah Armstrong said...

I am super sorry! I broke my arm about this same time of the summer when I was a kid...summer is a hot and itchy time to wear a cast for 6 weeks. Clothes hangers (to scratch with) were my friend! :)Let me also date myself a little...my cast was PLASTER, not fiberglass. Like Holly said, please let me know what I can do to help!!

The Dyer Family said...

we'll feed you every night at the dyer house - broken leg or no - can you get yourself over here? do we need to bring you things? did you get some good pills? please let us know..... i'm so sorry!

John and Brooke said...

I couldn't even tell what that picture was until I got to the part about the blue cast. Oh the days of childhood and casts...I only had one and all I remembered is towards the end the inside smelled like pickles...fun times! Hope you survive the rest of summer.

Anonymous said...

Hey, monopod, no one told you to "break a leg" did they? LOL Lie in the tub on your back and hang it over the edge (your foot, that is). Shave the skin all the way around the leg at the top of your cast. Then insert the foot into a plastic bag and duct tape it to the leg and have a nice shower. For pain relief, take all the crshions off the sofa and place them on the floor and lie on them and elevate the foot onto the cushionless sofa. Wear shorts. Do not smell the inside of the cast...it only smells worse each time. Be carefull at the dump site, wear a hard hat. After six weeks, when the cast is removed, you will feel like it is on your foot for 6 more weeks. FYI

Anonymous said...

Hey Lt. Dan! I'm so sorry. Come home and let Mommy take care of you and your latest blue cast. Can you conduct on crutches?

Shealy said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry, but am kind of laughing at the same time. Is that mean? It wasn't meant to be mean! Seriously...if you need anything, please call!!

Lindsay said...

I got to the injury part and winced and wiggled at my computer. Sounds painful Dan. Hope you feel better soon!

JBFerguson said...

Dan, Dan, Dan, is it weird that I am not surprised. Only you! If you need anything let me know, even if you want Jenny to pick up Jenny and the Jennys will go on a walk together!