Saturday, February 14, 2009

As Sayings Go...

My family has a few of them, sayings that is. One of my favorites being a phrase that my grandfather would say at EVERYONE'S birthday party, no matter what. He would wait for the lull of the crowd, then proudly exclaim, "Never been this old before!" As if his words were a revelation unfolding before our eyes.

Today is my birthday, and no, I've never been this old before. The saying rings with the same truth as it did last year. My grandfather is no longer with us, but my brother and I proudly carry on the tradition. Every time one of us has a birthday, the phone will ring and you can bet there's a Cater on the other end just itching to remind you that you've,

"Never been THIS old before!"

7 comments:

Reid said...

Happy Birthday Cuz! "Fire at Will!... Which ones Will?"

Anonymous said...

"Welcome to the Land o' Cotton!" Long live Paw-Paw. Happy Bithday my sweet Valentine Boy!

JBFerguson said...

Happy belated birthday! Can't wait to get the e-mail from Mrs. Kent to remind us all! Hope you had a great day!!

easyedwin said...

Your birthday was "tighter than Dick's hat band".

You had the "gumption" to enjoy it.

easyedwin said...

I am "humilified" by your bad behaviour.

Anonymous said...

I had tons of fun playing the "contendo" wii the other night.

Anonymous said...

Your birthday was "good to the last drop . . .but what about that last drop?"