Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Swimming Upstream

Warning: Stream of consciousness ahead.

It's show choir season. This brings with it mixed emotions. Don't get me wrong, I love me some show choir. But, I do think it can get out of hand in some cases. There are school choral programs that are solely devoted to having the best, loudest, flashiest show choir in the land. Trophies. As a result, these students are receiving an unbalanced music education. They are missing out on a ton of excellent choral literature. Another adverse effect of show choirs is the tendency to be exclusive. Just like a team, a choral director must pick the best performers. A school whose choral program exists solely for show choir would leave out a large number of students that simply want to sing and have fun doing it.

I live in Auburn; a city whose choral programs take great pride in their show choirs. Fortunately, these are well balanced choral programs that offer students experiences in classical choral literature as well as popular show choir literature. My choral program does not offer show choir. It just wouldn't fly at this age.

Do I want a large, flourishing show choir program? Sometimes. Most times, no. It's a TON of work, but the rewards are great. No, I don't mean trophies and first place ribbons. I think that performing on a stage in front of people greatly increases confidence in those that perform. It has such a great impact on people.

Tonight was the preview shows for the Junior High and High School show choirs. It was incredible to see so many of my former students performing in a show choir for the first time. I was beaming with pride.

So, I think I'm okay with not having a show choir. No, I know I'm okay with not having a show choir. I'm perfectly satisfied with going to the occasional high school show choir practice, offering my two cents of advice. Playing electric guitar in one song for the high school show choir band. For now, I've got all the show choir I need.

No comments: