Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Least of These

Tonight was Burger Night. You knew that, I know you knew that. Because I went to my school's football game at 5:30, we had to push BN back to 7:00. This puts us in the thick of Burger Night primetime. When I arrived, I went straight to the men's room just to wash my hands (ever get that feeling that you just NEED to wash your hands?) On my way out, I saw Sarah. She commented that "Of course you're here, It's burger night!" She was saying this because she knew I always go to Burger Night because she reads this blog, just like you. This made me realize that I haven't reported on Burger Night in a while. You may find tonight's results shocking, I sure did.

Let's say you've got a basket full of peaches. They are all beautiful, ripe, succulent peaches. I mean, they look good. You begin to sort through them and find that they are all of a very high quality. You decide to line them up according to their quality. Here's the conundrum: the one at the end of the line is the least appetizing peach of them all. Keep in mind, they are ALL great peaches, but this one is the least. Does being the least good peach mean that it's the worst peach? If so, then tonight was the worst burger night in burger night history. That sounds so harsh, but understand that it was still a burger night and still a great thing, it was just the least good of all the great things.

We arrived at 7:00. We got our food at 8:45! We've never had to wait that long for a) a table and b) our food. Maybe tonight was an "off" night. Then, we were seated at the worst table in the restaurant. And this time I don't mean worst in the sense of "least good". It was horrible. It was a high top, smashed in the corner of the elevated section of the restaurant, directly in the path of the arctic blast coming from the AC. We quickly asked to be reseated. They politely obliged and we were moved... to another high top. Then there was the wait.

Still, a great, cost effective meal. It was, however, just the least good burger night ever.

---

In other news, I created another line to the popular Alanis Morissette song "Ironic".

A traffic jam when you're already late 
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's paying fifty dollars for an Auburn v. Tennesse ticket
And then your mom leaves you a message on your voicemail
saying she'll give you hers for free.

And isn't it ironic?

Don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The economies of supply and demand vs the economies of NEED. The NEED factor is never figured in the equation. NEED is closely associated with want (desire). A higher value was placed on NEED which diminished the Want. The higher the need, the closer you are to obtaining the object. Cost is usually not a factor when need takes over. Milton Friedman (micro economics) is laughing his !@#$

Sarah Armstrong said...

I got a shout out! I feel so honored! :)