Thursday, September 4, 2008

Will Worship for Food

I've been thinking lately about worship, specifically about worship leaders. As a former worship leader, I've got a unique perspective on the whole thing. The modern trend in worship is for churches or campus ministries to have super-hip, rock n' roll, high definition worship bands. At the front of that worship band is the rock star of religious revelee, the worship leader. I'm blessed to have many Christian friends that are quite in tune with the latest in worship music. I tend to lag behind in keeping up with the most recent worship music. My hey day of worship music was in high school. Those were the songs that resonated with me the most. Even when I led worship for Campus Crusade for Christ, we tended to play older songs. So, sometimes I'll hear my friends talk about the new Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, Charlie Hall, or Steve Fee album. Then there are the CDs and DVDs that follow the Woodstock of generation Y worship: the Passion conferences. Locally, Auburn students flock to Encounter on Thursday nights. Here is where I tend to take issue with the whole worship thing. My big question is this: Should worship leaders make money for leading worship? Some churches and campus ministries sell CDs of their worship bands. Now, I have no idea where that money goes and for all I know it goes to a discretionary fund to help families in need. All I'm saying is that if someone chooses to lead other Christians in worship, should they make an income from that? My outlook on it was an acknowledgement that the Lord has blessed me with musical abilities, a desire to share those abilities in a worship setting, and a desire to somehow attempt to bring Him glory. He led me to Campus Crusade and I led worship for a year there. I wanted no glory or recognition. We weren't on a stage. In fact, we were at the lowest point of the auditorium classroom in which we convened. For whatever reason, I just don't like when worship bands; bands meant simply to lead others in glorifying the Lord, are put on a pedestal. Were it up to me, worship bands would play behind a curtain. Worshippers would only be able to hear the music being played by the band.

"But these popular worship leaders write their own songs." That is a valid argument. Still, if their intent is to lead worship with these songs, I just don't think they should make money from that. "How will they make a living though?" Again, a great question and one to which I don't have the answer. I don't have answers to any of these questions. I'm simply letting you in on what's been brewing in my brain lately. All thoughts are welcome.

7 comments:

Stephen said...

I share your dislike for the rock-star mentality of some worship leaders, since they are directing focus toward themselves rather than toward God. I also don't think that people should start leading worship out of a desire to get rich. However, I don't think paying worship leaders is necessarily wrong. Most pastors are paid for their ministry, and I think those who minister through music can be paid as well. 1 Corinthians 9:7-14, 1 Timothy 5:17-18, Luke 10:7, and other passages talk about ministers of the gospel being paid for their work. Most of the passages primarily deal with those who preach, but I think the principle applies to anyone who spends his or her time in the service of the church. I think it is legitimate to pay pastors, janitors, office assistants, choir directors, and worship leaders. If someone wants to do any of these things on a volunteer basis, that is great, but we should not look down on them or think that they are less spiritual if they are financially compensated.

chandler said...

i definitely see stephen's point, but, is there a difference between being paid behind the scenes and selling your CDs at a merch table in the narthex? i'm not sure what that difference is, if there is any at all, just getting a little more back on subject...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Dan, this is an issue that Mike and I chew on, and try to wrap our brains around almost constantly. Trying to keep your focus on God while living, working, and pursuing your art (or supporting a loved one in pursuit of his art -- his calling, or his spiritual gifts) in a world where economics and the constructs of man determine what resources you have is, at best, tricky, and at worst gut-wrenching.

My heart broke (and still breaks) when Mike said to me, "The decision to record the Gossman Passion was the worst decision we've made [regarding our household finances]" -- what stinks is, he's right about that -- we took on considerable personal debt for that project. Still, I love this work, I believe it was inspired, and continue to try to be open to whatever God wishes to happen with it -- if that's performances, CD sales, great . . . . it can be hard to look back, ask yourself if you'd do it again knowing the financial repurcussions, and answer, "maybe not" -- it can shake you, make you question your faith -- make you realize how scared you may be . . . .

Pursuit of any art in this world takes courage and sacrifice. Pursuit God within your art then brings up questions of selfishness, etc. when it comes to compensation . . . Stephen, I appreciate the Scripture you posted . . .

Still I gotta hand it to Big Fred, who boiled it down pretty well one evening . . . we were talking about being paid for Gossman Passion performances/CD sales . . . bringing up the very issues you bring up, Dan, when Fred said, "Well, I believe God would want you to eat."

Unknown said...

Of course i r the b right after you wrote it...needed some time to think on it. I too have some of the same beliefs dan. this is a sensitive subject because it is hard to discern who is genuine or not while on stage. But who are we to make that judgement call? And yet we still do. (flesh). I do have a prob with leaders putting a plug in for their website or like chan said "the merch table." It's not about your music or your tshirts. its about the Lord. and do we really know where the money is going?

The Caters said...

(this is Lauren by the way) My first blog post!

I have to agree with stephen with the comparison of the pastor and other church positions that are a paid. That is what I thought of immediately. I really think though when it comes down to it, whether it is right or wrong or whatever, it is the passion and genuine love for the Lord and what your or worshiping/doing that is the deal breaker.

I understand that frustration that you see where the worship leader becomes more the center of the worship and then God, but I don't think that those who have a true calling and passion for that field should not get some sort of payment.

Unknown said...

How can a person be leading worship to God for a buck? Or a better question might be; "Is it truly worship? That is the question -

Anonymous said...

I am an Auburn fan...not a Tubs fan.
I am a BPUMC worshipper...not a Croty worhsiper.
The proof is in the heart of the leader,,,(key word is LEADER).
True servant leadership does not require monetary compensation.
Store up your treasures in heaven.