Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ethno-religiositic confusification

It was the same class as apple blaster. I'm telling you, this class keeps me on my toes as far as incredible quotes. I'm having my sixth grade students do a project on a musical performer of their choice. I have instructed them to ask me if they are questioning the appropriateness of either their performer or their listening example. The following conversation took place today:

Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Sally: Mr. Cater, can I do (song title here) by Barlow Girl?
Me: Isn't Barlow girl a Christian band? (giving her a "why would you even ask me that" look)
Sally: well yeah, (she said as she kinda trailed off) they are Christianic... I just didn't know if there were any Hispanics in here that might have a problem with it.

---

Woah. I was floored. What did she mean? First of all, I'm not one to hide my Christianic-ness in my classroom. I'm not openly evangelical, but if it comes up, I don't shy away from it. Second... hispanics? Did she mean Atheists or does she think Hispanics are anti-Christianic? The world may never know. I just sat and laughed as her voice trailed off and she walked away.

3 comments:

chandler said...

i'm not sure where to begin to try to understand that one. i can only hope that there will be some quotable talk from the mouths of awkward 13 and 14 year olds this weekend in b'ham.

TLC said...

Christianics..... I don't know what to say to that but I am cracking up about it all over again

Anonymous said...

I think she was thinking of those of the Islam faith. In the ELL/ESL world of public schools these days, some people actually get the two (Hispanics and Muslims) confused. I have even seen that in my high school. I think she should be commended that she was trying, albeit it in a naive 6th grade way, to be sensitive to the beliefs of others. Go, Girl!