Wednesday, October 1, 2008

...mmmm Good

Forgive me if I'm beginning to sound reduntant, but I love my job (at least every other day)! I just "like" it on those other days. But, days like today make me love my job. On "blue" days I teach seventh grade choir. I feel like a "real" choir teacher, inasmuch as I can given the current circumstances. Today in second period we were working on one of our pieces for the Fall Choral Concert called "Shoshone Love Song" by Roger Emerson. The piece is in A flat major. As such, "F" is minor six. However, a beautiful moment occurs when the guys sing an A natural, making the F chord major instead of minor. It's known as a deceptive cadence (called such because it does something deceptively different from what it would "normally" do... musically speaking). In layman's terms, it's a surprisingly beautiful chord that your ear doesn't expect to hear in the key of A flat. Second period NAILED IT. We were also working on dynamics and tone today. Not only did they nail the chord, but they sang it with musicianship and attention to detail. I was almost moved to tears. If you are in the Auburn area, we will be singing on November 6th at Lakeview Baptitst Church at 6:30 p.m. Please come hear us. I can't wait. There's lots of work ahead of us, but the end result is going to be great.

I also announced my 7th grade choir officers today. These are positions of leadership applied for by the student and decided upon by me and a team teacher from each team. This was an exciting moment for some, and a heartbreaking moment for others. Regardless, I got a dozen students that I know I can count on when I need them. I'm very happy with the direction this choir is going and the future that lies ahead of us. Let there be light, let there be love, let there be music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are in Music Heaven on those "love" days. I love that for you.