Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Rose by Any Other Name

I pulled a double shift yesterday. I went to work at 7:20 and taught all day. Then, I drove to Birmingham to help out a friend of mine. He's the choir director at a middle school in Birmingham and was having a music-learning/team-building lock-in for his show choir. He hired me to lead boy's sectionals and teach them their music. Simmons Middle School is sixth, seventh, and eighth grade. The choir in question is made up of seventh and eighth graders. My choir is made up of just seventh graders. Even still, I learned last night that middle schoolers are middle schoolers no matter where they're from. It was fun to use things in rehearsal with these kids that I know have worked/amused my students in Auburn and watch them work like a charm last night. The whole thing was pretty exhausting. We would rehearse for an hour, then play games for forty-five minutes. Then rehearse again for an hour, then shove a couple slices of pizza down their throats and go play more games. This continued well into the wee hours of the morning. They learned four pieces of music in one night. Wow. It's intense, but it works. It's way more than you could do in weeks of class time!
Needless to say, I slept for quite a while this morning and am now ready to watch some football with friends at a favorite Birmingham establishment.

War Eagle
War Steelers
War Choir

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WDE anyway............Steelers Jags Sunday Night Football NBC

Jessy said...

hey tigers! vandy just beat the hell outta you! rammer jammer yellow hammer give 'em hell...vanderbilt? Still works.

haha I love you.

Anonymous said...

I still say--the Auburn football experience on a bad day is better than. . .work.

Anonymous said...

That's me. . .anonymous