Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tony the Tiger No More

I stepped outside this afternoon for my daily courtyard duty. I watch students leave school and make sure nobody does anything crazy. Another teacher walked up to me and said, "I just got off the phone, Tony Franklin's been fired." The time was about 3:20. I immediately called my brother and my dad, but they didn't answer because they were with a client (Cater Design and Landscape, LLC). Thus, I was forced to tell their voicemail the news.

Later, my dad called me back. "What's going on down there?" he asked, as if there were riots in the streets and complete mayhem everywhere. Truthfully, I don't know what to think. I don't really know enough about the situation. I know that most Auburn fans simply see us playing terribly, and want SOMEONE to get fired. Well, there you go. Happy? I really doubt anything will change. I think we will see the same puzzled, impotent offense on Saturday against the hogs. It also makes me sad. Chandler read an article in which Tony said he never got to really do what he wanted. Were there other members of the coaching staff that wouldn't buy into the Franklin Doctrine? We may never know.

Start praying to the football gods. It's going to be a rough ride.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing what I know about coach tubs, not only is he a politician, but an incredible pr guy. He will somehow spin this around so many times that everyone will end up right back were they started. It could be a very bad thing, or it could be a good thing. Time will only tell. As a fan, alumnus, and bleeding-heart, get-nervous-before-every-game supporter, I can only do my part and support my team and stand behind my coach in his decision, which, hopefully, is to salvage what is left of this season and continue a winning tradition in Auburn Football. war eagle.

Anonymous said...

We have reached rock bottom. That is a good thing b/c we can only go up from here. I see more points, more wins, more emotion, more Lester, more Burns and more fun for everyone with an AU connection. WDE and pass the ammo, scoring points is back at JH Stadium!!!

Anonymous said...

. . .the ony constant in life is change.