Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Child's Play

Names changed to protect the innocent:

Here's what happened today. A question was asked today to Billy. Billy answered the question and things moved on. Then, a question was asked to Johnny. Johnny began to answer the question, but then diverted into making fun of Billy's answer to the question. Of course, Billy couldn't let this go undefended. Billy had to speak up and defend himself. This went on for quite a while. In the end, I was unable to make a fair assessment of Billy's or Johnny's knowledge because the actual questions weren't answered.

This may sound like a middle school classroom squabble. It is not. This is my boiled down reduction of tonight's Presidential debate. I hated it. I watched the whole thing. I thought they acted like middle school children. Instead of making clear to Americans their positions on various issues, like the questions asked, they spent their time smearing their opponent. Then, when the time came for the other to answer the same question, they couldn't because they had to clear up the mud that had been slung in the previous candidate's answer. I think that's ridiculous. If I were indeed one of these confused and still undecided American voters, I learned nothing tonight. I would still be in the same confused stupor that I was in before the debate began because THERE WERE NO REAL ANSWERS.

Let's say I'm car shopping. I've narrowed it down to two vehicles and want to really get down deep and figure out what each vehicle has to offer. I want the Mazda to tell me all the good things a Mazda can do for me. I want to know exactly what it has to offer. I DO NOT want the MAZDA to tell me bad things about the HONDA. I'll go to the Honda dealership and let the Honda speak for itself! Then, after hearing from each vehicle, that car's strengths and weaknesses I can make the best, most informed decision.

Instead, the Mazda trashtalked the Honda. The Honda trashtalked the Mazda. Stupid cars.

They both claim that they are not "politics as usual". I didn't see that tonight. I guess politics will always be politics. It did serve as a good reminder of why I disliked politics so much prior to this election. Alas, my loyalties remain, as does my frustration at the two hours I wasted watching these two men act like children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is classic and conventional wisdom for the candidate who is behing in the polls to begin and perpetuate "trashtalk". This election is B. Obama's to lose. The unfortunate ecomonic turn of events has torpedoed Mac in epic proportions. Mac is like the Auburn football offense. He is struggling to find something that will work to turn the tide in his derectin. Unless the economy turns 180 degrees, this esection is over!

Anonymous said...

I have been feeling the same way for a week or two. GET ON WITH IT!! At least Obama mentioned the word "education", which Johnny has not once uttered.