Friday, October 10, 2008

Joliet Jake and Elwood

I watched Blues Brothers last night. I can't believe I've never seen this movie. The two main characters are still pop culture icons. People dress like them for Halloween. Yet, I've never seen it. It was before my time.

If I had to choose one word to describe it: hijinks, pure, unadulterated, swashbuckling hijinks! It was incredible! There were so many smashed cars, explosions, cars driving through shopping malls, good music, hilarious moments, and one liners.

Some of my favorites:

"We're on a mission from God."

The Mystery Woman that kept trying to kill them.

The scene with the nun where they keep cussing and she keeps hitting them.

When Cab Callaway tells the band to play Moochin Millie and he turns around and suddenly the band is decked out in tuxes and they are on a brilliant white stage!

The Nazi's car free falling for like thirty seconds.

The look on the crowd's face when the Blues Brothers first arrive onstage (blank stare).

"this is glue, dangerous stuff"

Aretha Franklin after her man leaves to go play in the band: "Sh*t"

Murphy and the Magic Tones

These are just a few of the moments and lines I loved about this movie. I'm going to be laughing to myself about it for a good week. I really feel like my friend Kent would love it. He loves John Belushi and it's full of his kind of comedy. So Kent, if you read this, go watch Blues Brothers. Wow. Consider me pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Love it. Love love love it.

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."

Do you just love John Belushi now?

Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ!!!!

The Dyer Family said...

I can't even kind of believe you haven't seen the blues brothers!!! i can't even tell you how many times i've seen this movie. i love it so much that i was actually excited to see the sequel with john goodman, probably the worst sequel ever made. but i still kind of liked it because i love the blues brothers! so i guess you didn't catch the night train reference? and it's minnie the moocher. she's a low down hoochie coocher.