Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Jenny Is Gone

I know that sometimes my words can be dramatic. However, there is no better way to say it. Jenny is gone. Having gone for a short jog, I was on foot when I came to the fence in which she stays every day. I opened it up and let her out, holding on to her collar. I clasped the training collar on her (or so I thought). As soon as she thought I had accomplished this task, she jerked forward. The training collar popped off, and she was free. She ran into the street, got sideswiped by a slowing car, and sped off down a side street. I chased after on foot, as fast as I could given my ankle issue. The next time I saw her she was half a mile down the street. It was the last time I saw her.
Chandler and I drove around in separate cars for about an hour looking for her. But, with her speed and insatiable curiosity, she could be anywhere. We never found her.
I don't know what to think. I don't know if she's hurt. I don't know if she knows her way back home. I don't know if she even cares to come back home. I'm pretty sad. I could never see her again, and I'm already trying to prepare myself for that outcome. As of now, I see my options as: 1) she runs away for good, never to come back 2) she gets hit by a car and dies 3) she finds her way home or 4) someone finds her and calls me. She's a needle in a haystack. I feel hopeless and helpless.

4 comments:

The Muncies said...

SAD!!!!!!!!

John Keyes said...

dude...flyers everywhere...we lost truman this summer and luckily someone called. Good luck man, sorry this is happening

Anonymous said...

MY HEART SANK when I read the news. I SO hope you find her, bud. I'll be thinking about you and Jenny in the upcoming days. Please keep me posted!

John and Brooke said...

Dan I can't even imagine!! Bless her little heart. I don't know what I would do. I will be thinking about you and I really hope that she finds her way back home!!