Friday, November 7, 2008

Come to the Music

Last night was the second annual Auburn City Schools Fall Choral Concert. This is the biggest event in which my choirs participate in the fall semester. It's a combined concert featuring the choirs of Drake, Auburn Junior High, and Auburn High School. Last year, the concert was amazing. It was incredible to be a part of something so big. This year, I feel safe saying we topped it on all levels.
Appearance: Every choir looked better. I know that looks aren't everything, but when you are a performer it is something to take into account. My kids wore embroidered polos and khaki pants (a common middle school choir uniform, yet an improvement from last year's T-shirts and jeans). The girls from the junior high and high school had new concert dresses that looked great on everyone!
Sound: Every choir sounded better. My choir this year is an actual choir, so of course they sounded better. We also were the largest choir, at eighty six singers strong! We are a force. The junior high choirs blew me away with their sound. It was vastly improved from last year. It was also great to sit in the audience and count former students. This being only my second year, it was awesome to even have former students to reconnect with. Many of them came up to me after the concert to say hello. Then there was the high school. They were incredible. The men's choir had the audience rolling with a novelty piece. The women's choir was excellent as well. The Varsity Singers (a mixed choir) sang three pieces that I had sung before in college. They sang difficult music and sang it well.
There's no doubt that big things are happening in Choral Music in Auburn City Schools. I feel blessed to be able to do what I do. I'm considering creating a youtube account so that I can upload some of these videos and my students can go watch them. What a great week this has been. We elected an awesome new president, and my kids had an incredibly successful Fall concert.

4 comments:

Christopher Lee Kelley said...

I'll second all that. I was there, and it was really fun. Dan, you're position as the director of the youngest choir is pretty important for setting the precedent for all the kids in a choral sense. And albeit from one who lacks any knowledge on the subject, it appears you're doing an awesome job.

Anonymous said...

Tonal quality-much improved
Appearance- much improved
Choral size- very much improved
Degree of difficulty-better

An overall A for the evening.
AGTWHBA!!!

Anonymous said...

It was brilliant. It was music that was in turns fun, inspiring, nostalgic, and just beautifully melodius. It is obvious that ACS as a whole is building an awesome choral program--but you win the prize, Dan! Your kids looked awesome (good outfits, happy faces), sounded good (diction, dynamics, musicality), and behaved well (for 86 middle schoolers quite impressive!). It shows that they like and respect you! Excellent accompanist, but personally would have liked it played a little softer so as to better hear the voices. All in all-a wonderful evening. A+! I am SO proud of you and think you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could've been there. Sounded like it was awesome.