Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Vocal Rest

I've always had a healthy voice. I have never randomly lost my voice or had laryngitis. Occasionally, when I'm sick or have a sinus infection, I take it easy vocally and try not to talk much or sing. When I became serious about my voice late in high school, I became much more conscious of vocal health. I avoided smoky restaurants or at least always sat in the non smoking section.
This weekend, I began to feel a slight tickle in my throat, usually indicative of an oncoming sore throat. I went out that night to Supper Club, a smoky bar here in Auburn. The next day, my voice was raspy and slightly hoarse, but I felt fine. It's now been four days and the situation hasn't improved. I thought it was a side effect of another illness, but that illness never came. For the first time since I can remember, I'm just losing my voice! I continued to teach Monday and Tuesday, thinking that the problem would right itself. I woke up today and my voice was still not 100%. For most, this may not be a big deal. For a music teacher and singer, vocal problems like this are dangerous territory and need to be handled delicately. I decided to take the day off vocally. I put in a video about Jazz music and had my students watch and answer questions. (It's actually a really great video, complete with commentary from some of the old jazz players that were young when jazz greats like Louis Armstrong and Charlie Parker were at their best.) It helped me because I didn't have to talk and teach and continue to overuse a vocal mechanism that is already suffering.
I got to thinking about the situation. With no other illnesses, it's got to be strictly vocal. I think it's the extremely dry air that I'm breathing in all night while I sleep and all day. After work, I went to CVS to purchase a machine that I haven't used since I was a child: a humidifier. So, now I'm sitting in my living room with my humidifier running and plans to stay here all night. I'm going to sit on my couch, play xbox, watch a movie, and breath in this moisture-filled air.

4 comments:

The Brucemeister said...

Go back to CVS and get you some Halls Defense Vitamin C drops (they'll be where the cough drops are). The sugar-frees are just as good as the regular. Suck down a few of those each day (especially when you have to use your voice). They do wonders for me, and a doctor friend of mine recommended them before he knew I was already on to them.

Anonymous said...

Old family remedy: gargle with warm salt water. Drink warm drinks. Rest it. You are doing the right thing--take care of that gorgeous voice!

Anonymous said...

Take a long HOT steaming shower and breathe through your mouth half the time.
Shivering in JH stadium probably had an effect sat.
Drink hot tea, hot chocolat and hot coffee. Swab the nostrils with Zicam, then pinch them closed for 10 seconds.

Emily Lilley said...

I think the problem stems from a visit to the Supper Club. I've heard Jack Daniels warmed up with honey and lemon will do the trick.