Sunday, November 23, 2008

Rest and Vision

I spent the weekend nestled in the foothills of North Alabama. I went to Camp Sumatanga, the same place I go for a week in the summer for Music and Arts Week. However, during the summer, the counselors are focused on the campers and their needs. This retreat weekend is just for us. It's a chance for us to catch up, hang out, eat junk food, laugh our butts off, and talk about next summer. Sumatanga literally means "A place of Rest and Vision" and that's just what it was for me this weekend. It's so much fun to hang out with those people, and this time of year up there is simply stunning. I hiked up the mountain Saturday afternoon and enjoyed the amazing view from the top.
There is a small open air chapel at the top of the mountain as well:
It was a fantastic weekend, and the drives were full of fall colors and good music. Now, I'm back in Auburn, a town void of college students. I like it this way. I went through the drive thru at Taco Bell in under three minutes. On top of that, they put a moist towelette, a toothpick, and a peppermint in my bag! I love them, and I used to be one, but life in Auburn is so much easier without college students! Just two more days of work until I can spend some quality time with family and friends at home in Birmingham, my other "Sumatanga".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let no one say, and say to your shame..........."this was a place of beauty until you came."

chandler said...

and by "college students" you mean "roommate who's still in college". it's fine...i get it. i get sick of me too.

go sumatage.