Sunday, March 15, 2009

SB09

As I write, I'm staring out at the gulf waves lapping the white sands of America's gulf coast. Actually, that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm here in rainy Birmingham. My spring break goals include a different type of tan; a farmer's tan! I'll be working landscape this week; the ole family business. Some families make their name in the restaurant business. Some families practice law. We push dirt around and cover it with grass. It's great! Hopefully the rain will move on so we can get some work done this week.

My father just purchased a piece of equipment for the company called a "boxer". Imagine a bobcat, without the rear-end, and you don't sit in it, you stand on it. It has tracks like a tank, but made of rubber. One can purchase or rent an array of attachments to do all sorts of different jobs. With this one piece of equipment, we can move thousands of pounds of dirt, till up the earth, dig trenches, drill holes under driveways, herd sheep, grill chicken, wash clothes, cast magic spells, rock babies to sleep, and do your taxes. Productivity and efficiency should increase, as well as fun-percentage.

My plan has been to work for Cater Design Landscape (heretofor referred to as CDL) during the summer. However, another opportunity has come up which might prove to be somewhat more lucrative for me. Last week, I received an email from the secretary at my school. Twas a forward from the Outreach Program Coordinator at Auburn University. Apparently, Auburn runs several week long camps during the summer for high school students focusing on different areas of study. There is an engineering camp, a fisheries camp, an architecture camp, and even a musical theatre camp. They are in need of "Lead Counselors/On-site coordinators" whatever that means. From what I can gather, it seems to be some type of "head counselor" position. I had to send my resume in! The kicker? One thousand US American dollars a week! We'll see how that plays out. I'm game for whatever! As long as I don't break any bones this summer (knock on wood), It looks like I should have some fun and make some money.

But for now, it's Spring Break '09. I'm going to get an airbrushed T-shirt at one of the 11 Wings stores within two miles of each other. Oh and one of those shirts that looks like I'm a girl in a bikini... but I'm not... it's just a shirt. SB09!

1 comment:

JBFerguson said...

As I was sitting in my recliner for a 3 am feeding last night, I thought this is a spring break I will never forget! Hope all is well, I would totally recc.those camps. Easiest money you have ever made.