Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The This Time Last Week Game

Whenever I return from a fun trip, I experience a let down in the absence of the previous week's excitements. Fun's over, there's nothing to see here. The people you laughed with are all back at their homes or their jobs. It's back to the "real world". As a youth, I experienced this let down after church trips like Mountain T.O.P., Ski Trip, Choir Tour, etc. In college it was usually after AU Singers Summer Tour. Currently, it's the ACDA let down. No more corny music references that nobody else back home would get. No more overly exhaggerated critiques of some of America's best choirs as if we're in any place to say so.

So, how do I cope? I play a little game called This Time Last Week. The rules are simple, think about what you were doing at this exact time last week. It conjures up good memories... well... memories nonetheless. It sweeps you back to the fun times you had last week. Here goes. This time last week I was with my ACDA posse trying to find somewhere to eat. We went to a place called Mantle's, but we didn't have reservations. So, on a tip from our cab driver, we went to Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill. Now, if you know me at all, you know I can't stand Toby Keith. He's slimy, his music sucks, and he just wants to profit off of America's war efforts and the feverish patriotism of some Americans. I digress. I sucked it up and went. We walked in and it wasn't so bad, save the larger than life mural of Mr. Keith holding his American flag painted guitar up in the air with a "we just won State!" linebacker look on his face. We had heard that the country fried steak was excellent here. Of course, I ordered it. When our food came there was a frisbee on my plate.... no... wait... that's the country fried steak. Toby, I gotta hand it to you, your music is crap, but your country fried steak is tops! I can't tell you much further, because then I'd be getting outside of the "this time last week" window. Ask me again in a couple hours... it involved lots of alcohol and intoxicated music teachers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

EasyEdwin and I played "this time last year at supper tonight! Let's see . . .this time last year we were packing, unpacking, and repacking to go to Ireland (the Homeland, you know)! Twas a brilliant time! This year we are staying home in America. That's fun, too. But not as fun as the Emerald Isle. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

this time last week I was meandering around the golf course on our new mini-excavator (which is bad ass i might add) pulling up old dead trees and trying to find other things i could destroy in an effort to hone my mini-ex skills.