Saturday, July 26, 2008

Gotta Let it Burn

My parents came to Auburn today to spend a night with me and help me do some things in and around the house (on-a-count of my bum leg). My mom and I steam cleaned the carpets while my dad did yard maintenance. Later in the afternoon, my dad came in asking if I had any wasp/yellow jacket spray. I don't. Turns out he had run over a huge yellow jacket nest with the lawn mower! He said hundreds of them came swarming out of the ground as he calmly backed away. Thus, it was time to mobilize and improvise.
"We'll have to pour gasoline down the hole and burn 'em out," Dad said.
So mom got him a solo cup to pour some gasoline in. He poured the gas into the cup and started to make his way around the truck when he noticed a problem.
"This cup has a hole in it!" he yelled. The gas had eaten a hole through the plastic cup.
"Well, I can't wear this glove anymore, I'll light myself on fire!"
So, I went back inside and got a glass.
"Now we just need a volunteer to pour the gas and light it!" Dad said. Let's pause to take a quick look at the line-up. My mother has bad knees and is on the verge of knee replacement surgery. I have a broken ankle and am still quite hindered by my cast. By process of elimination, Dad had volunteered himself. Like a good blogger, I was there with my camera ready to capture the adventure.

Dad approaches the hole with gasoline in a glass. Mom follows behind with a match at the ready.
Dad has done his part, now he's getting the hell out of there!
Mom had some trouble getting a match to stay lit all the way down to the hole. Look at how bravely she persists.
Finally, mission accomplished. In the words of Usher, "gotta let it burn."
Mom slowly creeps back up to assess the damage. A job well done.

Amazingly, nobody was stung.


4 comments:

Reid said...

Good old Cater adventures. Wish I was there for the excitement.

Anonymous said...

Buzz-kill

SKWALLACE said...

This reminds me of something that happened to my family a few years ago... A hurricane was coming (we get them in Virginia Beach, too!), so my Dad and I decided to bring all of the patio furniture into the house. One of the things he grabbed was a large artificial plant that had a bunch of "spanish moss" in the pot. As soon as Dad brought it inside the house, I could tell something was wrong... there were dark things flying around everywhere... it's BEES! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE AND THEY'RE STING CRAZY! They had a nest in the fake plant! My Dad did the heroic Dad-like thing and grabbed the pot, threw it outside, and immediately called the hospital because he was just COVERED in stings.

The hurricane ended up not coming, so the next day my Dad poured gasoline on the plant and torched it in our front yard. Revenge is sweet!

The Dyer Family said...

i think we have a bee problem in our back yard that you can help us take care of now that you're an expert! also, do you have any interest in helping construct a play set anytime soon? :):) we'll pay you with food and/or drinks! i know it sounds tempting!!