Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Newton's First Law

The first of Sir Isaac Newton's three laws of motion states that an object in motion tends to stay in motion while an object at rest tends to stay at rest, unless otherwise acted upon by an outside force. I am this law. I've had a broken ankle for almost a month now. Needless to say, I've been an object at rest. I feel gross. I feel like a lazy bum. I sleep late, and I don't get exercise. Yet, I continue to be able to sleep ten hours a night! Why is this? We tend to think that if one gets an abundant amount of sleep one night, he or she will not need as much sleep the next night. I have been sleeping late all week. Newton's first law. I need an outside force (preferably one capable of cutting through three layers of fiberglass.) I want to run. I want to take my dog running. I want to swim. I want to take my dog swimming. I feel like all I do is eat and sleep and watch movies. The best days of summer are passing me by in a full-bellied, foggy-eyed, one-legged haze. I do push-ups and sit-ups to try to replicate exercise, but nothing beats a good two-mile run. I'm weird in the sense that I feel like I have to "earn" a good meal and a long sleep. "Earn" in a metabolic sense. To have burned enough calories and energy through exercise and just daily activity to need a big meal and a long night's sleep. Instead, I just feel gross. Sigh.

Well, I'm going to go prop my leg up and watch more TV.

5 comments:

Whitney Dugger said...

Dont feel gross. Your fabulous. And believe me, I know how it feels. Things will get better. Miss and Love you.. Duuugggerrr

Anonymous said...

Walk to guthries, get a plate, walk home, eat it. Exercise and nutricion all in one!

Anonymous said...

You can always do some pull-ups. You might as well take these summer days that are passing you by to strengthen your upper body. Just a suggestion from a less-accident-prone bro.....

Jessy said...

hey friend.
I know that frustration well. Here's what you can do: google "body circuit." you can find tons of 30minute to hour long circuits that, for the majority, keep you off your feet. I did a lot of body circuits in the spring when I was in a boot for six weeks. Hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Exercise your mind. As for the sleep thing . . .well, it must be genetic (from me!). This, too, shall pass.