Sunday, July 6, 2008

Post camp breakdown

I hate the days after camp. Readjusting to life in the real world is difficult when you've been in an isolated, peaceful place with tons of your best friends. It was so good to get back to camp after a two-year hiatus. Friendships continued like we had never left.

Getting around camp proved difficult with a broken ankle. However, I was able to get a wheelchair and my transportation situation greatly improved. It was awesome to see how many people were willing to help me out all week. Sure, I got called the whole spectrum of broken bone nicknames: crip, cripple, peg-leg, etc. But, all in all, everyone was very helpful to me all week. I wouldn't have been able to do it without them.

Now that I'm a music educator, I have a totally different perspective on Music and Arts week. It is an incredible week of music and arts education. On top of learning the music and singing tons, there are classes in photography, newspaper, handbells, men's ensemble, women's ensemble, guitar, videography, art, and more. These kids get such an amazing opportunity to experience things they might never get a chance to experience otherwise. I gained a new respect for this camp this week.

So now I'm back. Back to paying bills, going to appointments, eating cheap burgers on burger night. Back to having cell phone service and internet access, things I had been fine without this past week. I have to wait another year to see these people again, but when I do, we will pick right back up where we left off.

2 comments:

Christopher Lee Kelley said...

Cheap on price, not on quality! mmm...

Jessy said...

You don't have to wait a year! Come to Tuscaloosa and see me row some in the spring. it's tons-o-fun. I miss you!