Monday, July 14, 2008

New Yorker Cover


What. The. Hell.

This is the upcoming cover of the New Yorker Magazine. It depicts Senator Barack Obama in traditional Muslim attire fist-bumping his wife, clad in terrorist attire standing over a fireplace in which an American flag is burning. Oh, and don't forget the portrait of Bin Laden on the wall.

What. The. Hell.

Spokesmen from the New Yorker say it is meant to be satirical. They claim that it is meant to poke fun at those people who think Obama and his wife are fist-bumping, flag-burning, Muslim terrorists. If this is the case, then shouldn't they draw cartoons of those people? Regardless of one's political leanings, no United States Senator deserves this kind of treatment. Both campaigns called the cartoon "tasteless and offensive." I agree. I'm appalled.

A "friend" of mine on facebook had as his status "laughing at the New Yorker cover and worried that it's a sign of things to come." The fact that people actually think that about Obama is the only thing worth laughing at here. Grow up.

---

Since originally posting this, I have watched and read several discussions on this issue. I now understand what New Yorker was trying to do here. The editor of the New Yorker made a comparison to Stephen Colbert, a comedian whose work I hold in the highest regard. He said that Colbert satirizes right wing commentary by playing a right wing "pundit". I get what he's saying. New Yorker is satirizing these perceptions of the Obamas by becoming the perceptions. Even still, I don't think it worked that well and I'm not sure the timing was appropriate on this one.

Yes, we can.

7 comments:

Whitney Dugger said...

I cant believe that.. I guess America will see and understand when Obama is our president..
"Yes, we can heal this nation. Yes, we can seize our future." Obama 08'

The Dyer Family said...

unfortunately, not enough people will take a second look at the attempted satire there like you did, and they will remain pissy about the whole thing. certainly it was a bad joke, but now it is going to turn into an even worse joke.

The Dyer Family said...

read the best comment of the day on jezebel today!!!
http://jezebel.com/5025048/reader-roundup

Jessy said...

I saw it this morning when I got up. I couldn't BELIEVE what I was seeing! I agree. Totally inappropriate.

Yes we can!

Anonymous said...

Disgusting. I agree with the Dyers that most people won't understand or recognize the satire (such as it is), and it will be hurtful of the campaign in the long run. Is everybody really that scared of change?

Anonymous said...

Ask yourself why there is a need for this depiction.

John McCain: a proven leader. For America!!

Dan said...

there is no need. That's the whole point!