Thursday, August 7, 2008

I hate shopping.

I have a disability, a directional disability. Seriously, if there were a test of some sort, I would fail. I can walk/drive into an area, have a conversation with someone, and then not remember how to get back out.
Pair that with a supermarket like Target, and I'm done. Here was my afternoon: I left school to go to The Apple Tree, a teacher supply store recommended by a friend. It's in Opelika, so I thought I'd just find it in my GPS (the aderol to my directional ADHD). My trusty GPS couldn't find it. So, I criss-crossed downtown Opelika for about fifteen minutes trying to find it. When I went inside and found the music section, it looked like a pack of wild hyenas had attacked it. There wasn't much left. I got a couple things and, after a ten-minute check out with a less than competent cashier, got back in my car. I then went to Target to get some things for my "new" bed. I think that most women are genetically created to know their way around places like Target. On the other hand, I walked in and wandered around like an idiot. Do they set the sections up just to frustrate me? Shampoo should be RIGHT BESIDE soap! Peas and carrots. Oh no, I had to weave down like eight aisles to find the shampoo. (I know what you just thought, shampoo for your new bed? No, dummy. I needed some other things too). I was tired, hungry, and frustrated. I worked straight through lunch today. I got started on a project and just kept working until I had to be somewhere at 1:00. This definitely contributed to my supermarket grumpiness. But the fun doesn't stop there. I'm about to leave when I notice that a hurricane is just chilling outside of Target. My own personal rain cloud. Screw it- I walked with my buggy to my car in a straight up deluge! People in their cars probably thought I was contemplating suicide, that was the look on my drenched face. I gingerly drove home to find my mailbox sitting wide open, wet mail cowering in the small inadequate cave. It was a pretty miserable afternoon. But there is salvation. Burger night. Thank you Lord for Burger night. Have I told you about Burger night? Eh, that's for another blog.

"I wanna know, have you ever seen the rain?" -CCR

2 comments:

The Muncies said...

Poor Dan! I should have called you when I hit the apple tree at lunch!!! Shealy and I will do a bulletin board makeover for you tomorrow!!

Anonymous said...

You can always ask for directions.