Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Perfect Union

One of my best friends, Daniel, got married yesterday. It was incredible. I didn't even have to sing! I just wore a sweet tux, got gifts, and had a blast. It's way easier and less stressful than being a musician at a wedding!
If you know Daniel or his new wife Mary Catherine and you know how much fun the two of them are together, then you can probably imagine how much fun this wedding was. The rehearsal dinner was held at Chuck's Fish in Tuscaloosa. Kind words were shared, fond memories retold, drinks hoisted, tears shed (Lee), and good food eaten! We then went back to the hotel for what you may call the afterparty. We slept late the next morning and had chick-fil-a nuggets in the groom's suite. Later in the afternoon we went for pictures and then it was time for the wedding! It was just surreal. I've been to many weddings, and even weddings of friends. It is a whole new ball game when this friend is one of your lifetime best friends. I was beaming with pride, love, and just joy! I felt 100% sure that these two people were meant to be together. Here are a couple of highlights that made me say to myself "man, I love my friends."
A) Mary Catherine processed down the aisle to a string arrangement (two violins and a cello) of "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (from the movie Once).
2) and maybe this is a common thing, but these two pulled it off really well. Towards the end of the reception, during all the dancing, Daniel and MC left the room for a while. When they returned, they had changed into "street bride and groom". MC wearing a pearly cocktail dress kind of thing, and Daniel in a black T-shirt, black blazer, and jeans. They made a grand re-entrance and continued dancing like nothing had happened. They were rock stars.

They leave tomorrow on a 50 day trip around the world. Some honeymoon huh? After their trip, they'll drive out to Pasadena, California to begin their new life together. I'm really sad that they will be so far away. That sadness is, however, overshadowed by the pure joy I feel for the two of them. So congratulations Daniel and Mary Catherine.


4 comments:

Jessy said...

YOU ARE SOOO IN THE DOG HOUSE. I realize that you were doing wedding things, but I should have been informed of your presence in Tuscaloosa! Which reminds me that I need your phone number.

Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

You're right--it was an awesome wedding, and I had fun, too. What struck me (besides the fact that DB & MC seemed so happy and perfect for each other), was seeing you, Daniel, Lee, Matt, Jake, and Paul all together looking so handsome and grown up. (please just indulge this Mom Memory, ok?) I almost had a real flashback to watching and being with you guys when you were in elementary school. The "Touchdown Run around the Cater's Yard" when we watched AU games at home. Church stuff, band stuff, all of it. I am so proud of all of you for being ALL OF YOU--and staying good friends all these years. So cool.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll settle for being the second best wedding and reception you've ever been to. It's cause I made you sing, isn't it?

Dr. Borschlin said...

Danneh!!! We love you and your awesome words. We are sitting on a couch in Iceland in the freezing cold and rain. We've had such a great time so far on the trip...I have a new love for NYC. We'll be starting one of these blog things here in a few and we'll be blog buddies.

Byes