Thursday, August 28, 2008

Share the love

I was overwhelmed today. Not overwhelmed by work, or students, rather overwhelmed by a feeling. I was driving home from Burger Night and thinking about the volleyball game I had attended earlier this afternoon. Over half the 7th grade girls volleyball team is in choir. I went to see them play Opelika this afternoon.
Anyway, back to the drive home from Burger Night. I SO BADLY want my students to love and believe in the power of music as much as I do. But, therein lies the problem. I'm trying to instill something in these kids that I myself cannot even put into words. It's almost like attempting to teach someone how to love. I think it comes down to simply showing them. There are no words I can say to these kids that would make them suddenly fall in love with choral music. I must show them. But how? I'm learning. A lifelong love of music is not something I can teach someone quickly. It may not even be something that I alone can teach them. Perhaps I'm only planting seeds right now that will continue to be nurtured in later years and in later choirs. I can only hope so. Man, I love music.

3 comments:

JBFerguson said...

Those middle school volleyball games will get you thinking!!!

Anonymous said...

Performance, performance, performance. There is really nothing like the feeling of--after weeks or months of mundane (usually) practice--singing with the choir. Suddenly there's this feeling you get--you feel a part of something large and glorious. People are listening. People are smiling and maybe nodding their heads to the music. You suddenly hear yourself sing a note or phrase and realize you have never sung so beautifully. And they clap for you! They beam with the joy of wondrous music coming from their friends or loved ones. Times like those make me want to sing again and again until it never ends! Let them capture that feeling and, in my opinion, they will be hooked.

Anonymous said...

Last night we ended our first rehearsal of the new year with" Majesty and Glory" and I felt tears rising in my eyes. It sounded sooo fine. Then May said "that's why we sing" and rehearsal ended there. WOW What a feeling....give them that!!!!!