Friday, August 8, 2008

What a difference a year makes

This time last year, I had no clue what I was doing nor what I was getting myself into. I was about to enter my first year of teaching, fresh out of college. My approach was one of "let's get a year under the belt and then use that experience to guide the future of your career." That is exactly what has happened. My evil plan was carried out quite well. I now have a great sense of direction, motivation, and excitement. A plan, or at least more of a plan. I'll be honest, it feels great to not be a newbie this year. Yet, I still need help. Today, my dear friends Shealy and Holly used their female teachery skills to pimp my bulletin boards (which went undecorated last year, blah). Thanks you two! So I think I'm ready. But am I ever really ready? Who knows. Allow me to get really cheesy for a second. It has been really cool to see teachers getting excited about their jobs. To see teachers that are truly passionate about connecting with, and impacting the lives of kids. And that's how I feel. I do what I do because I love music and I love kids. Ok, enough of that.


Next topic. THE OLYMPICS! Holy crap I love the Olympics! I'm watching the opening ceremonies right now (of course, delayed from their live air time). The passion, the pageantry, the Chinesians. All political issues aside, the Olympics, no matter where they are held, are a chance for the whole world to come together. I love those Visa commercials that say "Go World". I mean yeah, I love America. But, Go World! For me, the Olympics are about the world community. Knowing that most of the world is watching the same thing. It's like a guarantee that there will be good TV on for the next two weeks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teach your children well....CSN

Oh yes, you split an infinitive in your first paragraph, teach!

John and Brooke said...

I am so glad you are excited, motivated, and ready to start the year. You did an AWESOME job last year and are so good with those kids! This year will be much easier. I kind of feel like a first year teacher right now. Changing schools and grade levels has thrown me for a major loop-but we all survive!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear you are so excited about the new school year--I know it will be a great year! It's funny--even after 29 years in the biz, after all the frustrations, ups and downs, and the total "here-we-go-full-circleness" of educational practices, it's kind of like football season--if you love it, you still get excited at the beginning of the school year. Have a good one--go world!

Anonymous said...

Sorry that posted as anonymous (what did I do??) It's me--your Mom!

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the opening ceremony was when some country like Dumbao or Gumba or something like that...the annnouncers went something like this..."There have been no medalists at all for this particular country ever at the olympics, therefore, the Prime MInister of (country name) has promised a "dream home" and "untold riches" to anyone who wins a medal" Hilarious, what is this the medeival times?

Jessy said...

olympics olympics olympics!
ignore ignore ignore!
haha.
I love you!