Monday, August 4, 2008

DBBP 2008

What a weekend it was. With cast off and friends in town, we were headed to the beach to celebrate Daniel's last days of single-hood. The cast included Daniel, Lee, Matt, Paul, and myself. We took my car, and I proudly drove with my right foot! We arrived at Matthew's beach house to an overcast sky and white-sandy beaches. Of course, we made a pit-stop at the Tom Thumb for necessary supplies. It was a good night. I can't remember the last time I've been with this exact group of guys. We've been best friends since middle school and had years of hilarious stories to recall. The next day we hit the beach. I ventured out into the ocean to get my butt kicked by the huge waves (a favorite beach past-time of my brother and I). There was a lot of seaweed, but who cares, you're at the beach. After about ten minutes, I felt a long piece of seaweed brush against the back of both of my ankles. This was not, in fact, seaweed; but a gelatinous marine creature bearing tentacles covered with stinging nematocyst cells eager to inject their toxins into my flesh. Great, pick on the gimpy guy. This was no accidental brush with a stray jellyfish tentacle. I got raked on the ankles by a straight up jellyfish. After vinegar treatment and a couple Advil, the stinging subsided.
That night we went into Destin to dine at the Crab Trap. Not only does it boast mountains of steamed crab meat, but it's also the spot where several of us "picked up" three girls from St. Louis many years before. We stuffed ourselves with fine seafood and headed back to the house. I'll leave details to your imagination, but know that we had quite an excellent time.

3 comments:

Jessy said...

I could really use a Dan hug right about now. I miss you! Good luck with the start of school!

Sarah Armstrong said...

I was at the beach this past week and there was a SERIOUS jellyfish problem. With my little one, I didn't play in the water like I normally would so I wasn't really affected by this issue. However, a little boy near us was "brushed" on the rear and ended up having to shed his shorts right there on the beach!

Anonymous said...

Glad no one was arrested.
Glad you all had fun.