Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Strange Bedfellows

We were moving out. Senior year of college. There was a nice, big bed in the back room and with the next chapter of my life still undecided, I took it. Had I not, who knows where it would be. This is the bed I slept on for the past year. Almost twice as big as any bed I've ever slept on for any extended period of time, I was moving up in the world. The bed belonged to an older fraternity brother of mine, we'll call him Brad. Brad left Auburn to go sling drinks on a cruise ship or something. A while later, another fraternity brother, we'll call him Riley, moved into my house mid-senior-year. So, Riley borrowed the bed from Brad. Brad entrusted Riley with his bed. Riley leaves town to co-op somewhere. Lease runs up. Neither owner, nor trustee of the bed is present to claim it. Thus, I take it under my wing (or my whole body) and sleep on it for the next year. Then, out of nowhere my roommate, we'll call him Daniel, gets a phone call from Brad saying he's trying to track down his bed (the same bed that he ran away and abandoned two years ago!) Long story short- he'll be moving to Virginia (in like eight months!) and wants his bed back. Really? That's like me leaving a dog somewhere, running away for two years, storming back through town and demanding it back from it's friendly, well-meaning owner. Needless to say I was resistant. He offered to sell it to me... for four hundred and fifty dollars! What!? He wouldn't have even had a bed to be selling had I not taken it from the house! For all he knows, it could be in a dumpster somewhere.
It all went down today. It really couldn't have happened any better. It ended up being move out/in day for my roommate situation. Daniel was moving out, and my new roommate, we'll call him Chandler, was moving in. Brad was storming through town expecting to get a check from me. No ma'am. I called him and told him the house would be open, that my room was the first on the left, and that he could take the bed. I wasn't going to be there, I was out running back to school errands. I came home to a misshapen pile of clothes and other belongings lying vulnerable and exposed. My bed had been taken. I didn't even have to see the skeezer that took it. Hilarious.
I got a twin bed from another friend, we'll call him Lee. I've slept on a twin bed my whole life. Me and a twin bed are like chocolate syrup to ice cream. It's going to be fine. In fact, it's going to be even better. It made my room larger. If you ever come over to my house, please don't laugh at the tic-tac on which I now sleep.

4 comments:

Whitney Dugger said...

Dan. You amaze me. Simply amaze me. Im glad everything is working out. Have a great week at school Mr. Cater! miss you. love you. mean it.

"Celebrate we will, cause life is short, but sweet for certain." dmb

Jessica Seyler said...

Haha... what the heck happened to YOUR bed? Didn't you have one of your very own at some point?

Anonymous said...

OMG !! Where will I sleep on ULM game night?

Anonymous said...

Do you even have any twin sheets? Want me to send you some when easyedwin comes down to set up tailgating? Glad you didn't have to sleep on the floor!