Thursday, April 24, 2008

Do you trust me?

Faith is believing in and trusting that which we cannot see. The whole idea of faith is in direct contradiction with the addage "seeing is believing". The world tells us that, in order to believe something, we must first see it. In His typically, atypical manner, God doesn't work that way.

I led the youth of Rocky Mount Baptist in a discussion about faith last night. We started with a "trust fall". One person stands on a chair (which is already on a stage). He faces away from the six people who stand below with outstretched arms. He must trust that these people will catch his falling body. He cannot SEE them, but He must believe that they will prevent his certain doom. I use the pronoun "he" because only guys participated last night. I couldn't get any of the girls to step up!

After the trust fall, I began talking about worrying. Worrying is an activity I engage in frequently (although I'm getting better at kicking this habit). When we worry, we're essentially saying "I don't believe that this will happen or that this event or action will be carried out." I'm the first to admit that I'll pray for the Lord to provide and then turn around and worry that he won't! Worry is the polar opposite of faith. Where faith says, "I believe that you will provide for me," worry says, "I do not believe you will provide for me." I want to do it myself, or see for myself that it gets done. In truth, when we cast aside our worries and give them up- faith steps in and takes over.

Matthew chapter 5 tells us that God clothes the grass with lilies. GRASS! He provides for grass, which is here one day and thrown into the fire the next. If He takes the time and energy to provide for the grass, we better believe he'll take the time and energy to provide for us! So don't worry, be happy. I dare you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, this post really blessed me. I'm so guilty of being in constant worry about things. I have to remind myself that HE is in control of my life and that HE will take care of things! Hope you've had a good week!

easyedwin said...

you are the son of the son of Laurine.........a world class worrier....it can however be overcome by daily practice and trust in Him...just ask your father

Sarah Armstrong said...

Ouch...my toes! :) As one who considers worrying a "bad habit" I needed the reminder that HE is always in control. Thanks for sharing.