Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Telephone

I had another great night with the youth at Rocky Mount Baptist church. When I walked in, one of the younger girls came up to me and said, "Are you teaching tonight?"
I teach school. I teach every day. Why did this make me melt?
I went out to the playground to hang out with the youth a little before we started. I heard one of the guys say, "No we're not, Dan is out here, so we're not starting till he goes in!"
The kids are starting to give me ownership of this group. It's humbling. I love it.

We went outside today. How could we not? It was a beautiful day. We played a mutated version of "telephone". I called it Long Distance Telephone! I gave the message to the first person on each team. They had to run about thirty yards and deliver the message to their teammate, who ran back and did the same to another team mate, etc. This went on until the last person on the team got the message and ran down and delivered it correctly to me. It was pretty funny. I changed the game up a little and instead of running, the kids had to crab walk. Hilarious.

We talked about prayer. Talk to God. Straight up. Just talk to him.

It went well. I could see these kids starting to open up a little more. No, they didn't speak up about what they were thinking. And I don't expect them to right now. Baby steps. However, I could see it in their face. They're starting to trust. Thanks for praying. Keep it up.