Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Photosynthesis

Last Wednesday night, I helped my friend lead the youth service at the church where he is the music minister. It was incredibly spontaneous, but I didn't have anything else going on so I jumped on board. An idea came to mind- and something else took over! I love moments when I feel completely led by the Holy Spirit. Wow. It's like I'm not even there. I say things and come up with ideas out of nowhere!

My friend was not able to work with the youth tonight, and asked me if I would do it by myself. There was no hesitation. Another idea popped into my head, and the Spirit was off to the races. We ended up having a "Name that tune" style eating contest where one contestant bids that he could eat said leftover from church-wide dinner in "x" amount of bites. The second contestant either tops that, or challenges the other contestant to stay true to his word and eat it in "x" bites. It was hilarious. There were several "almost vomits". We then talked about Grace- the unmerited favor of God. Sang a few songs, prayed, and called it a night. It doesn't sound like much, but I could definitely feel God at work. Such a refreshing feeling and welcome break from the spiritual doldrums I've been experiencing lately.

I've done youth ministry for two summers at my church in my hometown. I know the kids, the parents, and the routines perhaps too well. I'm really enjoying ministering to these youth who are (were) essentially total strangers. We're starting at the beginning with each other; building trust and learning together.

So, if you're the prayin' type, pray for these kids. God has placed in my heart a new, strong desire to see these kids grow in in the knowledge and love of Christ. They are so spiritually young. Pray that the Lord will chip away at their barriers and inhibitions. Pray that the seeds that God is sowing through my efforts find the water, sunlight, and soil that they need to grow. (a spiritual photosynthesis, if you will).

Thanks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for them, being a teenager is hard enough... but being a teenager with Christ living in your heart is even harder, I remember the days. Also, let me know next time you go on Wed. night, I would love to join you guys for a service!

Dan said...

Thanks for the prayers!
I'd love to have you along for a service, if we can even call it that. It's so informal and small. and goofy.

Anonymous said...

Funny . . .I have been praying that YOU would soon find a spiritual "uplift". I have sensed your discontent. Sounds wonderful. I am praying for you ALL. (those kids are so lucky!) Love, Mom

Christopher Lee Kelley said...

Dude. Rock on McDonalds! You've got an amazing thing coming from God that is flowing through you and soaking onto all of these kids; your choir kids and these new youth kids alike. I just hope you're as excited about finding these spiritual gifts inside of you as I am. I'm so proud of where you are right now.
Lee